Maintaining the brightness of smile by taking care of dental hygiene can turn out to be very difficult for a lot of people. The reason is that we consistently fight with a lot of factors including the presence of staining food particles, ageing, and sometimes trauma. These factors reduce the natural shine of teeth and replace whiteness with the yellowness. However, the good news is that there are several methods available that can help you regain that lost shine of your teeth.
Reasons one might lose shine of teeth
The surface of teeth may look smooth to you but these surfaces contain microscopic pores which can pick stains form the foods and drinks we consume. When you consistently use teeth staining foods and drinks, your teeth may start looking discolored after some time. Hence, it is worth knowing the major culprits which can discolor your teeth.
Some of the major reasons for teeth discoloration are:
- Certain spicy and/or acidic foods
- Red wine
- Tooth trauma
When you start losing the natural shine and white color of your teeth, there are a few teeth whitening options that you can consider.
Use of over-the-counter teeth whitening kit
When you start losing the whiteness of your teeth, one of the options that you can consider is to get whitening drugs from nearby store. Over-the-counter drugs do not require prescription from your dentist. Thus, you can take those medicines home and do the whitening yourself.
Advantages of these drugs include.
- No requirement of expertise
- Can whiten your teeth for at least 4 months
There are some disadvantages as well.
- Less effective as compared to other treatments
- Not permanent teeth whitening solution
- Can burn the gums if applied incorrectly
Take-home teeth whitening kits
These kits are suggested by your dentist. Hence, these prescription drugs are more effective as compared to the generic kits. Although you are the one applying these drugs to your teeth, the dentist would provide you these drugs only when they believe you have steady hands which wouldn’t make mistake white drug application to the teeth.
Advantages of these kits include:
- Stronger than over-the-counter drugs
- You don’t need a lab appointment
- You may be able to get a fluoride additive to protect your teeth
And the disadvantages are:
- Requires longer time to complete whitening
- Requires proper attention to make sure that you get even whiteness
- Weaker than in-office treatment
In office treatment
This one is the strongest teeth’s whitening procedure you can consider in order to get rid of discoloration of even the strongest kinds. The kit used in this procedure is normally not suggested for the general use. Only qualified dentists can use these kits.
Advantages of these this treatment:
- Long lasting whiteness which may last up to 12 months
- Brings significant change in smile
- Most expensive whitening process
- Can cause temporary tooth sensitivity